I have been working almost exclusively in clay since the early 90’s.
As with so many artists I have been captivated by its incredible willingness to transform itself into wonderful forms, and to mimic almost any material. I particularly enjoy the process of construction, having had an earlier incarnation as a carpenter. I also enjoy story-telling, perhaps because I worked with young children for many years as well. But then for a few years I moved from more or less narrative work to much more abstract pieces.
While my earlier work almost always had represented something, I was building pieces without any desire to replicate an object from the world, or somehow explain a feeling or thought. It was a very liberating process. But somehow I shifted once again back towards more representative work.
I seem to enjoy most of all letting the clay take me to wherever it seems to want to go.
One, two or three person summer shows
– Graficas Gallery, Nantucket, MA
Two person show – Oils & Bookmarks
– Recent Works, Graficas Gallery, Nantucket, MA. Aug. 26.
Featured Artist – Whimsy and Imagination
– Recent Ceramics, Graficas Gallery, Nantucket, MA. July 9 -16.
Two person show
– Chelsea Eye Gallery, NYC. May 7- Aug.31.
Group show, Holiday Arts Event
– Ackfire Studio, Nantucket
Small Works Show
– 80 Washington Square East Galleries, February 3 – March 9
Small Works Show
– 80 Washington Square East Galleries, January 29- March 11.
Group Show, “Nantucket in Soho”
– Studio di Modica, NYC, November
– Ain’t Right Gallery, Port Clyde, Maine, August
Group show, “Celebrating the Preliminary Process.”
– Nantucket Artists’ Association, September 19- October 7.
– Silo Gallery, Nantucket Island School of Design and the Arts, Nantucket, June
– Nantucket Artists’ Association, Joyce and Seward Johnson Gallery, September
Work included in group show
– Bullet Space, NYC. May 4-31.
Work included in juried exhibition
– T.L.D. Design Center and Gallery, Westmont, Illinois. Feb.18-March 20.
2001 & 2000
– Old Spouter Gallery, Nantucket. Early summer.
– Nantucket Artists’ Association. Early summer.
Two-person show, Greenwich House Pottery
– Office Gallery, New York City, November.
2 group shows
– Donnell Library, New York City, January & May.
Artist Craftsmen of New York
– Lever House, New York City, February.
Artists On Their Own
– Jane Hartsook Gallery, New York City, winter
1998 & 1996
Orton Cone Box Show
– Baker University, Baldwin, Kansas, Award winner 1996 and 1998.
Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club Fall Show
– New York City
Graficas Gallery, Nantucket, MA.
Francoise Frey Gallery, Wellfleet, MA.
2003 – 2005
SEGI Fine Arts Gallery, Scottsdale, AZ.
Old Spouter Gallery, Nantucket, MA.
Main Street Gallery, Nantucket, MA.
One New Street Gallery: ‘Sconset Artists Show, Nantucket
Sailors’ Valentine Gallery, Nantucket: featured art
Recipient of Liz Schaeffler Sculpture Award, summer 2000, Awarded for outstanding sculptural work
Resident, Watershed Center for the Ceramic Arts, Newcastle, Maine, August, 1996
Member, Nantucket Artists Association